THE REST OF MY DAMN LIFE

THE REST OF MY DAMN LIFE: A Ranting Klown series

 

EPISODE I

TODAY IS THE BEGINNING OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE

(Daria meets her new roommate, and encounters various characters)

 

Scene I (INT, Day, Quinn, Daria and Jake in car, driving)

 

JAKE

I'm just saying that it may take a while for you to fit in Daria, I mean; college can be a big and scary world.

 

DARIA

I think I'll be fine. As long as they have pizza and satanic worshiping chapels, I'll be fine.

 

JAKE

Satanic Chapels!?!

 

QUINN

Daddy, I think Daria is joking, as hard as it may be to comprehend sometimes. It's like a fat people wearing spots...it's hard to see why they would do it, I mean; Stripes are in this season as well, that reminds me, Daddy, can I have $100?

 

JAKE

$100!?!

 

DARIA

Why exactly are you here again?.......sis.

 

QUINN

I thought I told you not to call me that in public!

 

DARIA

Oh, I'm sorry, our father might hear me, and of course the Russian spy satellites that are an affront to our way of life

 

JAKE

Russian Spy Satellites!?! Arrrrggggghhhhh!

 

(Car careers out of control for a second, before Jake corrects the car)

 

QUINN

Calm down Dad! Daria was joking again! Geez! Where's mom anyhow?

 

JAKE

Ummm.......Business meeting......Partners......Lasagne......

 

DARIA

On the subject of unexplained absences, or lack thereof, Quinn, why aren't you absent?

 

QUINN

I'm curious...too see...you know...what college is like and stuff

 

DARIA

By stuff I assume you'll be checking to see if you can get college guys to do your evil bidding.

 

JAKE

Evil bidding?

 

Scene II (EXT, Day, Car Pulling into Raft, to the Administration building, Daria, Jake and Quinn get out)

 

JAKE

(To Daria) You know kiddo, today is the first day of the rest of your life.

 

DARIA

You mean the pointless existence I've had up until this point has just been the first act?

 

JAKE

Yeah! Wait...

 

QUINN

I think I see a clothes store...bye!

 

JAKE

Wait Quinn! (sighs in defeat)...well Daria, do you need help with your bags?

 

DARIA

Ummm (unsure how to respond)...sure, the worst you could do is have a mild stroke...

 

JAKE

What do you mean kiddo? (Attempts to pick up bag)... well gee whiz kiddo! Planning to build up some muscle?

 

DARIA

18 years of social isolation feels heavy doesn't it?

 

JAKE

Now where are we supposed to go?

 

DARIA

The dispatch we got said that we are supposed to go to the administration building with our papers, so they can allocate us dorm rooms

 

JAKE

For the love of god please tell me the administration building is right in front of us!

 

DARIA

Yes, don't worry, that stroke will have to wait for another day

 

Scene III (INT, Day, Inside Administration building, there is a long queue and a very flustered administrator at the front of the line, behind a desk)

 

JAKE

Looks like there's going to be a long wait hey kiddo?

 

DARIA

I've been waiting for approximately 5 years now, 3 more hours won't hurt.

 

JAKE

Well, I guess that I should really go and find Quinn......

 

DARIA

So I guess...

 

JAKE

This is goodbye for a while.

 

DARIA

Yep.

 

JAKE

Ok then.

 

DARIA

Ok.

 

(Jake then proceeds to give Daria quite a big hug)

 

DARIA

Dad! Stop! I'll be back for Thanksgiving!

 

JAKE

(Wipes a tear from the eye) Now I know why your mother just couldn't take this...

 

(A surprised look from Daria, then Jake walks off)

 

(Daria then settles in for a long wait, Time lapses)

 

(She notices her surroundings, the old buildings out of window, she then notices the guy in front of her in the line.)

 

(The guy is about 6'5", has short, blond, wavy hair, wearing jeans, and a plain white shirt, has one eye blue, one green)

 

DARIA

Excuse me, how long have you been here?

 

GUY

About three days

 

(Expression of surprise on Daria's face)

 

GUY

Oh, you meant in the room, about 2 hours

 

(Daria noticing accent)

 

DARIA

You're not from around here are you?

 

GUY

I guess you could say that. G'Day, Neill's the name. And no, I don't do Steve Irwin impressions.

 

DARIA

Umm...Ok...

 

NEILL

I reckon I should explain that. You see, the first moment I land at the airport the air hostess notices my accent and asks me to do a Steve Irwin impression. Since then, I've done about 20 impressions of Steve Irwin, gets a bit tiring after awhile. Although I did get the hostess' phone number, so it's all good.

 

DARIA

Umm...Ok...

 

NEILL

You don't say much do you?

 

DARIA

I do, but I find that when I say things, it makes people talk back to me, and I need that in my life right now like I need a blow to the head from a blunt instrument.

 

NEILL

Umm...Ok...

 

(Daria gives a sigh)

 

DARIA

Sorry, I've just been in a tight space with my sister for 3 hours

 

NEILL

I'm going to go ahead and guess that's pretty much hell for you

 

DARIA

Not quite, Hell for me is a 3 hour car trip with my sister...while listening to N*Sync.

 

NEILL

Family eh? Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. Me, I've got 3 brothers, I'm the youngest so I have to put up with all the crap about being 'the favourite' and such. But they're good blokes.

 

DARIA

So you came here to escape?

 

NEILL

Nah, like I said, they're good blokes. I came here because of the special reduced fee I have to pay to come here. This college treats its international students quite well. So well in fact it's costing me the same to come here then what it does to go to an Australian University, so it's all good.

 

DARIA

So you came here purely for fiscal reasons?

 

NEILL

Yeah, I also heard that Ozzie accents are in demand right now, if you know what I mean.

 

DARIA

(Apprehensively asking) Working in Radio?

 

NEILL

No, but I've gotten 5 phone numbers in 3 days. That's almost a record for me.

 

(We now see that the line has been reduced significantly)

 

ADMINISTRATOR

Next!

 

NEILL

(To Daria) Well, I guess that's me. (To Administrator) Neill Hayden...International Student...

 

ADMINISTRATOR

Oh! Welcome to Raft College. I think you'll find your experience here more than purely educational sir. I'm setting you up in your room now...Oh, it appears that you'll have the room to yourself sir.

 

NEILL

We're all friends here! You don't have to call me 'sir' (noticing name badge) Lorraine

 

(Lorraine giggles)

 

(Daria looks out the window while Neill completes his registration, to find Quinn carrying 10 new outfits, with stressed out Jake in tow.)

 

(Daria chuckles)

 

NEILL

(To Daria) Did I say 5 phone numbers?, because I meant 6. I love this country. Well I'm done; I can wait around and help you with the bags if you want.

 

DARIA

Ok, I could use some help with the mahogany bed...

 

(Neill can sense the sarcasm)

 

NEIIL

(Noticing a svelte brunette close to them) Well, I'll just be over there. (To Brunette) G'Day, how's it goin'?

 

(Daria looks mildly disgusted)

 

LORRAINE

Next!

 

DARIA

Daria Morgandorffer. Freshman.

 

LORRAINE

Yeah, yeah. Morgandorffer. Your dorm is building 7, room 202. Next!

 

DARIA

Um...Ok?

 

LORRAINE

You're holding up the line missy. Next!

 

NEILL

All set?

 

DARIA

Yeah, I guess so. (sighs)

 

(Neill tries to pick up the bag Jake was carrying earlier)

 

NEILL

Stewth! You weren't kidding about the mahogany bed were you!

 

Scene IV (INT, Day, Neill and Daria walking to room 202)

 

NEILL

By the way, you didn't tell me your name...

 

DARIA

Daria

 

NEILL

Daria eh? That's an unusual name. And Morgandorffer...German?

 

DARIA

Uh, not that I know of. Umm, how do you know my last name?

 

NEILL

It's on this bag

 

(Shows Daria Bag)

 

NEILL

So Daria Morgandorffer, tell about your hopes and dreams? What do you hope to get out of Raft?

 

DARIA

Are you getting money to conduct surveys that ask stupid questions?

 

NEILL

Just curious

 

DARIA

Well you know what they say, Curiosity will eventually kill Steve Irwin.

 

NEILL

Crickey! It's just a question! No need to jump down my throat!

 

DARIA

(Realising she's being quite rude) I'm sorry. It's just the stress of the last few days. Saying goodbye to everyone, the car trip, emotional farewells, its taking its toll I guess.

 

NEILL

Apology accepted. So are you going to answer my question or what?

 

DARIA

I guess so. I suppose I hope to get out of here alive, and with all limbs attached.

 

NEILL

Umm...neat?

 

(They find themselves at room 202)

 

DARIA

Well, I guess this is my stop, I got to get off.

 

NEILL

Well I suppose I'll see you around. (Starts to walk off, and then turns back) Um...Listen. If you ever feel like talking or whatever, I'm in room 312, building 8.

 

DARIA

Um...Ok. Well, I guess I'll see you around then.

 

(Neill walks off, Daria turns and knocks on the door)

 

(The Door opens to reveal a 5'8" blonde woman, with big, round eyes, wearing a 'I Love Jesus and he loves me back' T-Shirt)

 

(Daria looks inside the dorm room to find a crucifix and other religious paraphernalia around)

 

GIRL

Praise Jesus! You must be Daria!

 

DARIA

Uh, no, I'm Darlene. They must've mixed up our registration. This isn't my room then. Well, bye.

 

GIRL

Well goodbye! Don't be a stranger now!

 

Scene V (INT, Day, Room 312, building 8. We see the door of the room, and Daria approaching it)

 

(Daria knocks on the door, Neill answers)

 

NEILL

Daria! Hey, I figured you weren't the type to talk, but come on in.

 

(Daria enters to find a dorm room that is for all intents and purposes, a modern apartment)

 

NEILL

Pretty flash eh? Being an international student has its perks, I must say! Well, what is it you wanted to talk about?

 

DARIA

Oh, I'm not here to talk, I just need a place to stay for a few weeks.

 

NEILL

What's wrong with your room?

 

DARIA

I have a problem with religious fanatics. They don't approve of Dante. Or satanic rituals.

 

NEILL

Well, I'll take your word for it. I was looking forward to having home court advantage as well. Well, I guess it's a lot of morning classes for me then...Ok, you can stay until you get a room sorted out. Your room is through here.

 

DARIA

Wait? You have more than one bedroom?

 

NEILL

I told you International Students were treated as deities by the administration.

 

DARIA

I'm starting to get that impression.

 

NEILL

Well, we have 2 bedrooms, kitchen, study, living area, 2 en-suite bathrooms, and a view of the 'historic' bell tower.

 

DARIA

I take it you're here to become a real estate agent?

 

NEILL

Nah. The nifty introduction came in this pamphlet. I've got to go now. I've got my Orientation in about 10 minutes. Get yourself settled in and such. Oh, and Daria, if you touch my beer, you'll owe me a new slab.

 

(Neill exits, leaving Daria in her new surroundings)

 

(Daria walks around taking in her new digs, Goes to her room, and notices a queen size bed)

 

DARIA

Well at least this is an upgrade. The place doesn't feel quite the same without padding though.

 

(Daria then starts to unpack her backs, including one bag that contains a copious amount of literature. After putting her books in the study, Daria then notices a computer in the living area. She goes back to her room and comes back out with a web cam and a headset.)

 

(Daria then plugs in the web cam and headset. She types away, we then see the screen flicker to life, and Jane's face in the monitor)

 

JANE

Ola Amiga!

 

DARIA

Yeah, hi.

 

JANE

I see the 'going to college' present is working well

 

DARIA

Yeah, about that. Thanks.

 

JANE

Are you getting all mushy on me Morgandorffer?

 

DARIA

No, I don't think I can get mushy, just less cynical

 

JANE

You? Cynical?

 

DARIA

Did I mention I sent an anthrax laced package for you?

 

JANE

Ahh, there she is. How's college so far? I'm going to have to live vicariously through you for a while.

 

DARIA

Well, apart from Dad crying, waiting in a line for 2 hours, having my dorm room inhabited by Miss Bible Girl, and then having to share a room with an antipodean Hugh Hefner, it's Martha Stewart and a mariachi band away from being hell. Oh, and in the few hours I've been here, I've begun to suspect that the administration may be just that little bit biased toward international students.

 

JANE

Same old, Same Old hey?

 

DARIA

So...how are things back at HQ?

 

JANE

You mean in the few hours you've been gone? Well Trent went to sleep...so I guess nothing new.

 

DARIA

I'm still surprised he got up to see me off

 

JANE

Hey, you're a college girl now...

 

DARIA

I'm now sending you another package, this time with smallpox in it.

 

JANE

Ok, Ok. Someone get a doctor, I hit a nerve. I've got to go now, but I'll talk to you later. Bye.

 

(With that Daria logs off, to find that Neill has returned with some guy)

 

(His companion is about 6'1", short, shaggy red hair, Jeans and a faded black shirt)

 

NEILL

I know it's around here somewhere, oh, hey Daria, this is Brad, Brad, Daria. She's staying here for a couple of weeks.

 

(Daria gives a mixture of a look, from 'I like this guy' and 'Oh no, not again')

 

BRAD

Hey

 

DARIA

Hey (Muffled response)

 

(Silence follows)

 

NEILL

Oh. Here it is.

 

(Neill pulls out an acoustic guitar)

 

BRAD

Pretty sweet dude.

 

(Plays a few bars)

 

NEILL

Well, I'm no musician, It's mostly to impress the chicks. They think I'm all artistic and what have you, and they pretty much become putty in my hands, but you must know about that right mate?

 

BRAD

Note really, I make really bad decisions when it comes to women. Besides, who wants some girl slobbering all over you because you can play a guitar you know?

 

NEILL

Doesn't sound too bad to me! I figured that the chicks got all fired up when it came to muso's. What about you Daria? Do muso's get you all fired up?

 

(Daria gives Neill a killer glare)

 

NEILL

Oh, I forgot, you don't have any discernable passions.

 

BRAD

Well, it's been cool. I'll give it back when I get my strings fixed. Nice to meet you...Daria was it?

 

DARIA

Uhh...Yeah (again, a muffled response)

 

NEILL

Ok dude, catch ya. See you in class!

 

(Brad exits)

 

NEILL

(With a sly look on his face) Wow, great conversation there.

 

DARIA

Kill......You......

 

NEILL

Yeah, your linguistic skills are unsurpassed. The way you muffled your answers....genius.

 

DARIA

I've got to go. Orientation.

 

(Daria hastily exits)

 

NEILL

Like shooting fish in a very small barrel.

 

(Neill goes to the fridge and takes out a beer)

 

Scene VI (EXT, Dusk, Daria with a tour group)

 

TOUR LEADER

And as you can see...the historic Library here at Raft is 70 years old, so it's quite historic, built by the founders of this College, descendants of our current Dean, Mr Black. And if you'll just follow me, we can proceed to the historic bell tower.

 

DARIA

(under her breath) I wonder if the food is just as historic

 

(Daria leaves the tour group, and finds a building that says Café')

 

DARIA

Yes, coffee, I definitely need coffee.

 

Scene VII (INT, Dusk, Daria enters the coffee shop)

 

(Daria walks up to the counter to order)

 

(The server is female, about 5'10", long brunette hair, Blue eyes, wearing a standard coffee house uniform with black apron)

 

DARIA

I need coffee, now. Dark...very....very...dark.

 

SERVER

Hard day at the coal mines?

 

DARIA

I guess you could say that.

 

SERVER

Freshman?

 

DARIA

Yeah

 

SERVER

Did you see the historic Bell Tower yet? It's Historic.

 

DARIA

I gathered, I bet it makes a great snipers post. I can see it from my dorm though

 

SERVER

Then what the hell do you have to complain about? You don't sound like an international student though.

 

DARIA

I'm not, I'm just staying with one for a few weeks. What's the deal with the International Students anyhow?

 

SERVER

You mean how the administration throw rose petals at their feet? I'm Christie by the Way.

 

DARIA

Daria, and uh, yeah. I mean, our room even has separate bedrooms. It seems like they're getting an unfair advantage.

 

CHRISTIE

Yeah, the Dean decides a few years back that we need to enhance our international image. Think it will get him on the cover of Dean Weekly or something. So now Raft offers international students half the fees, and all the comfort they could ask for. Mr Black figures that if the international students go back to their respective countries and tell all their friends about how 'wonderful' and 'historic' Raft is, Raft may get some international Kudos.

 

DARIA

Well It seems that way, or the high-end computer in our dorm would point to that.

 

CHRISTIE

Listen, here's your coffee. This may seem like an odd question, but I don't suppose I can check out your dorm, I've always been curious to see exactly how wide the gap is.

 

DARIA

I uh, suppose. Though I should warn you about my roommate. He's Mick Dundee and Hugh Hefner rolled into one sick, sad combination.

 

CHRISTIE

Oh, I've met guys like him before. They find me especially intriguing.  I find that self-defence course I did last semester comes in quite handy...I think I can resist going weak at the knees for him.

 

DARIA

Well, it's room 312, Building 8, I guess, you can come by when your shift is over. You're not a burglar are you?

 

CHRISTIE

Not that I know of...ok, let's go. My shift is over.

 

DARIA

That seems awfully convenient...are you sure you're not going to rob me?

 

CHRISTIE

As much as I need the money, I do have morals....some at least.

 

Scene VIII (EXT, Dusk, Daria and Christie walking to room 312)

 

CHRISTIE

And on your left, you'll see intellectual poseurs. On your right, you'll see nihilistic poets talking about the death of God in post modern society.......again......for the 10th time this week. In front of you, you'll see the dean's building, but hopefully you'll never actually go in

 

DARIA

Why do you say that?

 

CHRISTIE

You only ever get invited there if you've screwed up big time, or he's hitting on you. You see, College is different to High School, in that it only appeared in High School that the administration didn't give a damn, now not only do they not give a damn, they judge you by how much money you've got.

 

DARIA

Doesn't sound that different

 

CHRISTIE

Oh, don't look now, but I think were about to be hit on by Captain America

 

(Captain America refers to a football player, big, brutish, crew cut, thinks he's god's gift to women)

 

CAPTAIN AMERICA

Hey, Christie, you been thinking about my offer yet?

 

CHRISTIE

Sure, I thought about it. But then I quickly dismissed your kind offer to 'get me out of my rut'. I'm just fine the way I am thank you. Steven.

 

STEVEN

You know, I bet a pretty girl like you could get all sorts of guys if you tried. Who's your friend?

 

DARIA

Darlene

 

STEVEN

Well, if you took off those glasses, then maybe, if I've been drinking

 

CHRISTIE

You remember when you came onto me last summer; do you remember the smell of the emergency ward?

 

STEVEN

Fine. I'll let you and your little friend do your thing. But mark my words, you will eventually succumb to me.

 

CHRISTIE

Oh Steven, you're so fine you blow my mind. Let me just go change into something a little more comfortable, you wait for me at your place.

 

(Steven's heard this line before, notes the sarcasm, and then leaves)

 

DARIA

What's up with that guy?

 

CHRISTIE

You mean Steve? He's been after me since I first turned him down.

 

DARIA

Are all college guys so persistent?

 

CHRISTIE

No, just Steve. Besides, I told you, men find me especially alluring.

 

(Daria gives a quizzical look)

 

CHRISTIE

There's something about playing it cool for about 2 years that drives some guys wild. I'm surprised nobody's hit on you yet.

 

(Daria gives another quizzical look)

 

CHRISTIE

You seem like the type of girl that is very selective. You know, a girl that doesn't go around sleeping with the first guy she sees. That drives guys wild, I should know.

 

DARIA

I'm not selective, it's just that most guys don't fit a basic criteria

 

CHRISTIE

What exactly is that Criteria?

 

DARIA

They've got to realise the difference between Huckleberry Finn and Huckleberry Hound.

 

CHRISTIE

You know you're going to die alone right?

 

DARIA

Oh yeah. I count on it.

 

Scene IX (INT, Dusk, Daria and Christie go to room 312)

 

(The door opens and we find that Neill is in a bathrobe holding a bottle of champagne in one hand, and 2 champagne flutes in another)

 

NEILL

Oh, umm, Hey. Daria......I wasn't expecting you back for at least another 20 minutes...

 

CHRISTIE

20 minutes eh? You must have some incredible staying power.

 

NEILL

You know it luv. Daria...don't just stand there, introduce us.

 

DARIA

Christie, Neill, Neill, Christie

 

(We then see a cute blonde girl in the doorway)

 

(Girl looks at Daria and Christie)

 

GIRL

I don't know what you were expecting of me! I'm disgusted at you Neill Hayden! I mean maybe the brunette, but not girl with the glasses! Ugh!

 

NEILL

Wait! We can ditch Daria! I'm sure Christie is up for it!

 

CHRISTIE

Don't make me kill you. I can't be bothered cleaning up the mess.

 

(Girl leaves)

 

NEILL

Damn. Well, I suppose I can't let this complementary bottle go to waste...Will you join me for a nightcap Daria and Christie?

 

CHRISTIE

As long as you promise not to get me involved in any foursomes, tonight at least.

 

NEILL

Damn. Can't blame a fella for trying. Ok.

 

(Neill hands everyone a glass and then fills it up)

 

NEILL

Well ladies, what should we drink to?

 

DARIA

How about survival?

 

CHRISTIE

Avoiding group sex with people you've just met?

 

NEILL

How about to the next step?

 

CHRISTIE

Again, don't make me kill you.

 

DARIA

How about to moving on?

 

CHRISTIE

I'll drink to that

 

NEILL

I'm Australian; I don't really need an excuse to drink. Cheers!

 

(They each take a drink)

 

CHRISTIE

For what it's worth I'm sorry about scaring off your date

 

NEILL

That's ok I suppose. Girls like that are a dime a dozen. New phrase I learnt today.

 

CHRISTIE

I would've slept with her though.

 

(Surprised look from Daria)

 

END

 

-How will Daria react to this shock revelation? Is it even a revelation? How long will it take Neill to hit on Daria? What is the Capital of Mongolia? These questions answered and more in the next episode-

 

 

 

(Authors Notes)

 

*Thus ends the prologue of 'The rest of my damn life'. Why is Neill an Australian guy? Well, I am Australian, and hope to explore some cultural differences throughout the series, something that 'Daria' never really did. I like to think I know a little bit about Australian culture.*

 

**Comments, questions, hate mail? Ranting_klown@hotmail.com **